Our programs focus on commercial agriculture and horticulture, farm business development, pesticide safety and training, integrated pest management (IPM), farm food safety and farm risk management.
Our work with commercial clientele and governmental agencies is intended to improve public understanding of the relationship between agriculture and open space and the general and environmental vitality of the county.
The Rutgers agricultural assistant has responsibilities as legislated by New Jersey law.
- Issuing open burning permits
- Certifying agricultural water use permits
- Providing pesticide safety education and recertification courses
- The list of Pesticide Training Manuals for each of the exams can be found on the Rutgers Pest Management website. These manuals can be ordered online (effective 10/23/2019). New users have to create an account.
- Issuing farmer/farm use/truck certificates for agricultural motor vehicle plates.
- Registering animal waste management plans
- Membership on the County Agriculture Development Board
- Membership on the County Soil Conservation District
Consider subscribing to our Plant and Pest Advisory newsletter to stay informed. This virtual newsletter provides seasonal updates focusing on insects, diseases, and weeds of importance to NJ Commercial Growers.
Educational programs are in the form of newsletters, phone calls, office, site, and farm visits.
For More Information
Cooperative Extension of Passaic County
Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
1310 Route 23 North
Wayne, NJ 07470